Tuesday, November 17, 2009

To be or not to be....

Blessed?

This is a real bone of contention with me. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but here goes.

So, a baby gets sick and is fighting for his/her life when miraculously he/she survives. Someone will say "you have been blessed".

Does that mean the parent who lost their child is not blessed?

There has got to be a better way of conveying a message of gratitude other than making the ones that have lost, feel like they aren't blessed. I understand why people say it and I understand the intention.....I have even said it. But then it makes me stop and think?? Is God not blessing those that have lost a child? I don't believe that to be true. God has a plan for all us and we are all blessed regardless of what happens in our life.

Does this make any sense at all?

I'm soo confused!

What do y'all think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That makes sooo much sense. I see it as we are all blessed to be children of God and when his son died on the cross for us we were blessed. It isn't God changing anything at all either way it goes. He already knows what is happening beforehand.

Jenny said...

I think it is a matter of "counting our blessings" as cliche as it sounds. Your questions make sense and I wonder how I got so blessed. Why me? How is this fair to the others in the world who are experiencing such painful losses.

And I think that we have to look for the good. For example, both Jennifer and Stellan have been SUCH blessings to me, and thousands of others. So have Maddie and Heather. I could not say that one of those families was blessed and one was not, even though they've had different outcomes...seemingly unfair...

All we can do is look at how we are blessed and look at where we fail to see the goodness in life. We can choose to learn from pain that is experienced by others, be reminded by it. But we can also see a community of good and loving people surrounding those who experience loss, and be encouraged by that as well. We are all blessed, we just need to see those blessings through so.much.craziness, so, much heartache. We need to hug our children and love them the best we can today, no matter how tired we are or how much pressure we are under. And if we fail today, we need to try harder tomorrow, doing our best to take each day as a gift, a blessing. We need to encourage others as we remind ourselves, and be as kind as we can to everyone because we don't know what battle they are fighting but we can be sure that we are each battling and are each needing the support and reminders that we are, in fact, so blessed.

**side note, I hope you don't think that I am a comment stalker...I love your blog and your posts and your questions!**