Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's a rude, rude world!

As of lately, it seems, as if this world is getting ruder by the second!  I am constantly floored by the rude actions I see happening around me.

People cutting people off on the freeway.  People not holding doors for others.  Or holding the doors, only to be ignored and not given a thank you!

Here is a really, really good example:

I took the girls to breakfast at the little restaurant around the corner from our house.  We have been going to this place for about 7 years now.  The waitress, we will call her "D", knows us by our first name.  Knows our children.  We know hers, etc.

So, the girls and I sit down.  She gives me a menu and crayons and paper to the girls.  We have been sitting and waiting now at least 10mins when a man (you will notice I did not call him a gentleman), sits down at the table next to us with his 2 boys.  He immediately starts telling "D" that he is in a hurry.  She assures him that she is aware, as this is apparently a frequent thing.  She then comes over and asks if we are ready.  We are.  I give her our order and she then walks to his table to get his order.

It's now been about 10minutes more, and Caroline has already started to ask that we leave.  She is bored.  We have played with all the jelly packs we can to entertain her.  She has colored.  She has drank her juice.  She is ready to go.

On the counter, I can see that food has come up and is ready to be brought to the table.  "D" gets the food and brings it to the man and his kids!!  She says "you should thank her (me), I put your food ahead since you were in a hurry"!  

I'M SORRY!  WHAT??  WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

The man attempts to laugh it off and thanks me.  The nerve!

So, the man and his sons, gobble their food and leave.  "D" then trys to lessen her rude behavior, by telling me that he does that to her all the time.  I tell her, "that was rude on so many levels.  His issue of being late, is not my problem.  You should not let anyone instruct you on how to service your customers.  Also, is that really the message he wants to send to his sons?  That he can cut in front of people and that it is okay?".  Yes, I said a mouth full, but I was soooo mad.  Where does this sense of entitlement come from?  Why would anyone a) ask a waitress to do this and b) why would the waitress allow this?

Well, needless to say, my dissatisfaction was reflected in her tip. 

What do you think?  Do you find the world to be ruder these days?

No comments: